I Kings 20:1-4
- I believe that many would say that the title of our message today is the opposite of what most pastors would bring to the table on the Sunday before the 4th of July for his parish to eat.
- This week we will celebrate our American Independence from the tyranny of England and France.
- As I have been recently preaching on our status as soldiers in “the Lord’s army,” and how we are to be brave and strong and tenacious against satan and his armies, I wish to encourage us this morning to “Absolute Surrender.”
- The word “surrender” should not enter the mind of a soldier. You ask any military minded soldier or officer if surrender is a plan of strategy and I believe that they would say “NO!”
- God does not think as we do and is a million times more brilliant and powerful than any human. But I believe what God has laid on my heart are His words… “Absolute Surrender.”
- Looking at the text verse this morning and I was looking at these verses…And Benhadad the king of Syria gathered all his host together: and there were thirty and two kings with him, and horses, and chariots: and he went up and besieged Samaria, and warred against it. 2) And he sent messengers to Ahab king of Israel into the city, and said unto him, Thus saith Benhadad, 3) Thy silver and thy gold is mine; thy wives also and thy children, even the goodliest, are 4) And the king of Israel answered and said, My lord, O king, according to thy saying, I am thine, and all that I have.
- Particularly note the last of verse 4… “I am thine, and all that I have.” This is “Absolute Surrender.”
I. The Right Perspective
A) I am Thine
- When looking up the word “surrender” in the dictionary, it defines it like this… 1) To give up possession of, or power over; yield to another on demand. 2) To give up claim to; give over or yield voluntarily. 3) To give up or abandon.
- Now I ask you… “Does this word sound like a word that should be a part of a warrior’s verbiage?” NO! But God demands it.
- In reality, and as according to the purpose of this message this morning the answer would be “YES” depending on who you are surrendering to.
- To “surrender” also keeps an army (person) from being totally destroyed.
- Syria with Ben-Hadad at the helm and 13 other kings (their armies) were a huge force that had planned to take Israel by storm.
- Ben-Hadad boasted that he had leveled Samaria to dust and will do likewise to Israel. Then Ahab (King of Israel) told him that he should not boast before war is engaged.
- Let this be a lesson to us as well. Solomon tells us in Proverbs 27:1…Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.
- The Syrian army and its allies were huge numerically. Israel would not stand a chance defeating this force on their own strength.
- But the key factor in any victory over the enemies of God must be complete submission (Surrender) to God and His will in your life.
- When Ahab said “I am thine…” This was personal. He intended to give all of himself, surrender his body and talent to Ben-hadad.
- If you want the blessings of God upon your life, your family, your church, or whatever, God must have your absolute surrender.
- The word “surrender” is not fund in the Bible. The word that means surrender is “submission or ”
B) Winning any battle
- To have the victory over any battle in our life takes the right perspective.
- The right perspective in a Christians life is “Absolute Surrender.”
- By the way, the word “absolute” means …complete, as a whole.
- This is why the wives and husbands who fight and scrap, continually, yell, argue, and such never have the peace that the Prince of peace has to offer. They do not know nor practice absolute surrender.
- Do you want to win the war against Satan? Do you want to have victory over your bad habits? Do you want to win the battle against those who oppose Christ and your Christianity?
- God wants you to be like Ahab and give Him your “Absolute Surrender.”
- You think that God is strict? Join the military and go to boot camp and you will see exactly what the military expects of you. 100% absolute surrender to the United States of America and its military for the freedoms it gives.
- Do you know why the military is strict in this manner? Because they are the ones responsible for your life. And if you do not follow their orders, it may cost you your life.
- God is strict because He made us and knows what is good for us and God knows Satan (Our enemy) and his tactics of warfare that seeks to devour you.
- To win any battle that you face in this life, you must be in absolute surrender to God in your worship to Him, all that you do and say.
C) And all that I have
- Many people are attached to “things.” All their “stuff.”
- Did you know the word “stuff” is found in the Bible 16 times.
- Pharaoh said to Joseph in Genesis 45:20 (KJV) Also regard not your stuff; for the good of all the land of Egypt is
- Jesus preaching to the Pharisees about the Kingdom of God said in Luke 17:31… In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back. 32) Remember Lot’s wife.
- In both of these verses (And there are more of like meaning), a person’s “stuff” should never be something to pay much attention to.
- Jesus (in Luke 17:31) was talking of those saints who await His Second Advent (second coming, rapture), should not turn around to grab their “stuff” and try to take it with them. What will happen? Christ said… “Remember Lot’s wife.” I would think that what Christ is saying is that you may turn to a pillar of salt and get left behind to face the tribulation.
- In Kansas and Oklahoma, we see many tornadoes. When the sirens go off and people head towards the shelter or their basements for protection against the tornado. Depending on the circumstances at the time, it is amazing what “stuff” people grab to take with them in the shelter.
- What we need to realize is that all of our “stuff” belongs to God. When you realize that, it won’t be as important for you to “need it.”
- If God wants you to keep it, He will take care of its maintenance or the replacement of it.
II. I Surrender All
A) Do we understand the term, the song?
- “I Surrender All” has been a Christian hymn from 1896, that goes like this…
(Vrs. 1)All to Jesus I surrender, All to him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust him, In his presence daily live.
Refrain:I surrender all, I surrender all,
All to thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.
(Vrs.2) All to Jesus I surrender, Humbly at his feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken, Take me, Jesus, take me now.
(Vrs.3) All to Jesus I surrender; Make me, Savior, wholly thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit, Truly know that thou art mine.
(Vrs. 4) All to Jesus I surrender, Lord, I give myself to thee,
Fill me with thy love and power, Let thy blessing fall on me.
(Vrs 5)All to Jesus I surrender; Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation! Glory, glory, to his name!
- No military branch anywhere will allow a soldier who goes AWOL or deserts, to receive the same benefits as the others who stayed to fight the battle.
- God is no different. God wants us to surrender to Jesus Christ His Son in whom we owe our eternal life, joy and security to.
- Husbands, do you absolutely surrender completely to God and your wife?
- Wives, do you absolutely surrender to God and your husband?
- Children, do you absolutely surrender to God and your parents?
- I know the battles that some of you face daily. I know the battles you face as a soldier of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- It’s not easy. It is hard and cannot be won without us giving complete surrender to Jesus today.
- Are you a soldier who is deserting God’s army? Are you AWOL (Away Without Leave/permission)?