“ Being Free”
Free, Freedom, Liberty… what does it mean?
- Webster’s Dictionary describes the word “free”… Having liberty; not being a slave; not controlled by others. 2. released from some unpleasant duty, or pain. 3. open; free to say opinion. 4. clear; like road free of ice. 5. not held down. 6. free of cost; no charge.
- To be “bound” ..1. Fastened; tied. 2. Held or tied down; restrained.
- In verses 1,2… we see Jesus, sitting down while teaching in the church.
I. A Woman Accused
A) The Scribes and Pharisees
- Read verses 3,4…
- Scribe- a public writer, (like or secretary of state), a person skilled in the Jewish law, a teacher or interpreter of the law. The scribes of the New Testament were a class of men educated for the purpose of preserving and expounding the sacred books.
- Pharisee- strong Jews, that many times Christ pointed out problems with . Pharisees were guilty of pride and covetousness, showing off in prayers, alms, tithes, and facts, (Mt 6:2,5; Lu 18:9), and they were hypocrites who acted like a Christian (holy people) to cover their wicked actions and conduct; they eagerly sought to destroy Jesus, and his blood was upon them and their children.
B) Sat her in the middle
- In verse 3… we see that they sat her in the middle of the “Sunday school class” or the temple. Why?
- I believe it was to bring shame on her and to expose her sin. Numbers 32:23… and be sure your sin will find you out.
C) The Pharisees test Jesus
- Read verses 5,6…
- I believe that they were trying to trick Jesus.
- Who is Jesus? He is God right? Then he knows our every thought and action.
- “Moses law” was sent by God to Moses. Moses law is found in Leviticus 20:10 and Deuteronomy 22:22.
- It says this… “the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.”
- God wrote this law and gave it to Moses. Jesus is God also!
II. A Lord’s Answer
A) They picked on Jesus
- Read verse 7-9…So when they continued asking him… This means that they keep asking questions.
B) Is any one without sin?
- “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”
- Jesus makes people stop and think. “Are you without sin?”
C) Why did Jesus come to this world
- John 9:39… ¶ And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
- John 12:46… I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
- By reading these two verses …we see that Jesus came to help the blind (Lost people , without Christ in their heart)people to see what God wants them to do.
- In verse 9 of our text… we see that the Holy Spirit convicted each one!
III. The Woman Is Set Free
A) Jesus does not condemn or judge “the flesh”
- Jump down to verse 15 and read it… Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
- “after the flesh”- according to appearance; according to your carnal and corrupt mode; not according to the spiritual nature of the doctrines.
- Jesus did not judge some one according to what they look like or what you could see…he judges by what you cannot see…their heart.
- Now back up to verses 10,11…
- Jesus says that he does not condemn (say that you are wrong, or declare not useful)..
- In God’s eyes we are useful no matter what we have done in the past.
- Jesus did not say that adultery was alright sometimes… but he tells her to do it no more…stop it don’t do it again.
B) Go and sin no more
- Jesus sets this woman free by saying…Go and sin no more.
- Read now in verse 36… If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
- Jesus is “the Son” that sets us free. How does he make us free?
IV. How to be free
A) First, we are bound
- We were bound to sin… before saved Our flesh makes us want to sin. Bad habits control us and bind us to do it. (Smoking, drinking, bad language, sex pleasures, over eating, lust, bad thoughts, etc.)
- If you cannot stop doing something…you are a slave or bound to that!
B) Jesus made us free
- By dying on the cross a buying our salvation so that all we have to do is trust Him and be free from that bondage to sin.
- Jesus made this woman free… If she wants to be free she will do it no more!
C) Are you bound by sin?
- Does sin control you? Then you are bound by it..and not free.
- Jesus can make you free!
D) Are you free?
- Our American soldiers have helped us to be free in America to do as we wish.
- Jesus has made us free from sin if we wish.
- Are you free?