“ God Our Father, On Father’s Day”
- “A Father”… What is a father?
- Websters defines it this way… A male parent 2. the origin (Starter) 3. A person who directs and cares for those under him.
- Parents are the starting place of the children.
- Earthly fathers are the starting place of his children.
- God is the starting place of His children (The saved)
- God cares and directs every one of us that are under Him.
- We as fathers to our children need to be doing the same thing.. caring and directing our children.
I. Caring and Directing
A) Understanding human nature
- Here are the facts….
- “ verse 6 …¶ But we are all as an unclean thing..” We are all like anything that is unclean. We are dirty. It is only the Blood of the Lamb (Jesus Christ) that cleanses us.
- “.. all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;” Some of the things that we do for him are as filthy rags. (Example:When we sing a special song to boast)
- “...and we all do fade as a leaf;” A leaf on a tree stays green for a long time then it starts to turn colors, fades, and then falls off the tree. So we as Christians stay faithful, then start to change, start fading(missing church) then we soon fall into the clutches of Satan.
- “…and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.”Our sins are what takes us away from our Heavenly Father.
- “verse 7… And there is none that calleth upon thy name,” There are none that pray to him are ask God for help first.
- “ ...for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.” God has hid his face from us, because sin is ugly to him.
- I Peter 5:7… Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
- John 10:13… The hireling (some one that is hired to do something) fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
- A true Father will take care of His children.
- Our heavenly Father takes care of us when we are trying to do His will.
- To “direct” someone means …to lead.
- There are two kinds of leaders… good leaders, and bad
- God has given us His word (the Bible) to lead us in the paths that we should go.
- A good father will lead his children in the “right” way, or “good way.”
II. Honoring our Father
A) By giving Him the respect due Him
- Now let us look again into Isaiah 64: 8…
- But now, O LORD, thou art our father; FIRST- We need to realize that He is our Father, He is the one that takes care of us and feeds us and clothes us.
- we are the clay, SECOND- we need to realize that we are the clay. Clay is to be molded into whatever the potter wishes for it to be.
- and thou our potter; THIRD- God is our potter (maker) He has an idea of what He wants us to be…it is called “His Will”
- and we all are the work of thy hand. FOURTH- This is giving God the glory for what he has made…us! Do not complain about the way he made us. We are all different.
- Psalms 119:73… ¶ Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments.
III. Forgive us Father
A) We are His people
- Back in Isaiah 64 read verse 9… Be not wroth very sore, O LORD, neither remember iniquity for ever: behold, see, we beseech thee, we are all thy people.
- Our first plea is ….. “Don’t be angry with us Lord.”
- Secondly, Don’t keep remembering our past sins.
- We “beseech” (beg) We are begging God to not be angry with us, not to focus on our past sins, but to remember that we are His children (Thy people).
- We need to daily ask our “Heavenly Father” to forgive us our sins.
This Father’s Day… Do you claim Him as your Father, who care and directs you?
Preached on June 21, 2009 at the SBBC for “Father’s Day”