“ God’s Sweethearts ”
I. God’s Married Sweethearts
A) God made male and female
- Read verses 6… “ But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.”
- “From the beginning” means God did not ever experience gays and lesbians until man created the sickness himself.
- God Intended for it to be man and woman, or male and female.
B) The man is to leave mom and dad
- Read verses 7 … For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
- This means men…no running back to mom and dad.
- The word “cleave” means to… stick closely to someone or thing.
- This also means to stand up for, defend, protect, and to love.
- Ephesians 5:25… Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
- Colossians 3:19… Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
C) One flesh
- Read verse 8… And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
- The word “twain” .. two
- Question? What makes a couple become one?
D) God has joined them together
- Read verse 9…What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
- “let not man put asunder.” This is talking about the excuse of divorce.
- Divorce is legal in God’s eyes when a husband or wife is not faithful.
- May I also point out the same is with God… When a Christian is not faithful then God has the right to separate or “divorce” with us.
II. God’s Single Sweethearts
A) Three things to think about
- Philippians 4:11… Paul gives three good points here to those that are single like he was as well…
- “Not that I speak in respect of want:” We all have our desires, sometimes our desires are more than we think we can handle.
- “ for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am,” . Paul was in jail when he wrote this and he is saying here… This is what I have learned and I am doing at the present time. The word “state” does not mean Kansas or Oklahoma. It means…position you are in, or condition of your health or mind.
- “ therewith to be content.” The word “content”. to be satisfied. So what we are trying to point out here is this… If you are single, be content.
- God may have the right person for you at the right time…do not push yourself into a situation of need for companionship when Christ can fill that need better than any human.
- One afternoon a woman is sitting in the back yard in her lawn chair observing all the things God has made while she is reading her daily devotions with God. She was so happy and really content with being single for the past 5 years. Then later that evening she went to be with her married friends when a thought popped into her head…” What does he see in her? It’s not fair, because I’m better than she is” And then she suddenly became discontent, depressed and not happy.
- Does this mean she should not hang around married couples?
- Does this mean she should try to get the married couple separated?
- Does this mean that God is not fair?
- I believe that God wants us to “Be in Control” of our lives and actions as a Christian… and to be content.
- This also is something that our married couple need to learn… if you don’t like your Husband or wife… be content!