“ Love one Another ”
- Jesus here had gathered the disciples together to tell them something very important.
- Number one, That He (Jesus) would be betrayed.
- Number two, That they (The disciples) were to love one another. (Even Judas)
- This should be an example to us also… We have had, and probably will have someone betray us also. WE SHOULD STILL LOVE THEM!
I. A New Commandment
A) Is it really new?
- “…thou shalt love they neighbor as thyself ” (Leviticus 19:18)
- This was the law laid down by God as He gave it to Moses.
- Note he talks about loving your neighbor as yourself.
- Here in John 13:34… it is referring to the brethren in Christ that we are to love one another…As Christ did, and still does.
- YES, it is a new law. Not to us… but it was to the disciples.
B) Why did Jesus have to tell them… “Love one another?”
- Shouldn’t the disciples already love one another?
- Apparently not! They probably had some hurt feelings.
- I do know that many did not like Paul because he killed and tortured the Jews before he was saved.
- So now Christ tells them… No matter your faults with one another… “Love one another”
C) I need to tell you… “Love one another”
- I Thess. 4:9… ¶ But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
- I Peter 1:22… Seeing ye have purified your souls (You have become saved)in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently(sincere, warmly):
- I John 3:23… ¶ And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
- I John 4:7… ¶ Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
- I John 4:11… Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
D) Why love one another?
- Because God teaches us to “love one another”
- It is His commandment
- Because “Love” is of God.
- Because He first loved us.
- Because we need to bond together against Satan in love. 4:9… Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
This message preached on New Years “Watch Night Service” at our house 2008