“ Mary, The Favored One ”
A) Different Mary’s
- Mary of Rome
- Mary, Mother of John Mark
- Mary of Bethany
- Mary, mother of James and Joseph
- Mary Magdalene
- Mary, the mother of Jesus. This is the one we will talk about.
I. Her Moral Purity
A) A Virgin
- Note verse 27…Some translations of the bible call her a “young woman.” Just because she is a young woman does not mean she is a virgin.
- The correct word should be “virgin”
- WHY A VIRGIN?
- The prophets said she would be (Isaiah 7:14)
- The holiness of Christ (Angels had flew before Him and cried Holy, Holy, Holy)
- The birth had to be of God (Holy, Pure, Sinless) not of man.
B) God expects all women to keep themselves pure
- I Corinthians 6:17-208…
- 17) But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. (If you are saved)
- 18) Flee fornication (Sex before marriage). Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
- 19) What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?(This is not our body because it belongs to the Lord.)
- 20) For ye are bought with a price: (The price is Jesus death on the cross) therefore glorify God in your body(Give God a good name), and in your spirit, which are God’s.
- ..How you dress speaks about how you feel inside.
II. Her Special Favor
A) “Highly Favored”
- Read Luke 1: verses 28-30…
- Highly favored means High approval.
- I believe God may have had a serious look at all women on earth at that time..
- What was her “heart’s desire” (please God or man)
- What did she dress like (harlot, worldly, or child of God)
- What was her prayer about. (Selfish, thankfulness)
- Who were her friends (Egyptians or Jews)
- Was she a hard worker
- Did she love children and others with a God-like love
- Could she forgive others as easy as her new born son would forgive those who trespassed against Him?
B) “Among Women”
- Note that God said …. “blessed art thou among women.”
- NOT “Above women”
- The Roman Catholic church places Mary above women and now they are working on trying to place Mary as part of the trinity to become the quadruplets. (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit And God the mother of Jesus)
- That is rediculous!
- In our Bible… The word “favored” is the English word for charis which means… “Grace.”
- .. What have you done or what can you do to receive this honorable call of God in becoming “Favored among women?”
III. Her Purpose
A) To Give birth to the Christ child
- Read verses 31-33…
- All the Jewish people were expecting this Christ child and all women were hoping to be the honored and chosen vessel of God.
B) Who was this child?
- His name was Jesus (It means Jehovah is Salvation)
- His name will be “the name above all names”
- He shall be great ( 32)One day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that “He” Jesus is Lord!
- He shall be called the “Son of the Highest” That means no one is higher.
- He shall rule… 1) the throne of his father David: 2) over the house of Jacob for ever; 3) and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
C) Ladies, what is your purpose?
- God has a purpose for each one of us this morning.
- What kid of wife are you to your husband.
- What kind of mother are you to your children.
IV. Her Cooperation with God
A) The handmaid of the Lord
- Read verses 35-38…
- In verse 38 we note the word “handmaid.” It means … a servant.
- A servant is a person that is willing to do whatever their master asks.
- She trusted God even when she did not understand… Ladies… do you understand what the angel said to Mary in verse 35?
- She believed that her God could do this miracle. .. verse 38… be it unto me according to thy word.
- Ladies are you who will trust God even when you don’t understand Him?
- Do you believe God can perform miracles?
V. Her Wonderful Attitude
A) Magnified the Lord
- Read verse 46…
- To “magnify” … means to make something big, or larger than it really is.
B) Rejoice in the Lord
- Read verse 47…
- We should be like the lame man who was healed by Jesus… He walked, then leaped and praised God!
- When we come to church we should be excited!
C) Praised the Lord’s Holiness
- Read verse 49…
- We need more women, and Men who realize the Holiness of our God!
- Once we realize how holy He truly is then we can also agree with Mary and say… 47) “And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.”
- Ladies what kind of attitude do you have about Christ!
Preached at SBBC in Wichita on December 14th, 2008