“Men of God Volunteers”
- I believe that we have come to the knowledge that our world has become completely the opposite of what God had designed.
- Women are taking jobs and pulpits away from men. We as men want to blame women for being so head strong and dominant but the truth of the matter is that men have created the problem because they lack backbone and the desire to work or do what is necessary to fulfill God’s Law.
- Women go to work and men stay home and play.
- Homosexuals everywhere are gaining ground and acceptance by society and the church which has twisted God’s order of the family.
- Children are being raised by the school and society and not the parents or church.
- Animal life is preserved and protected more than human life. Save the whales but abort children. God forbid we let the children and animals starve to death in Africa and across the world, but their spiritual welfare is of no concern.
- Have you noticed the advertisements on T.V., the stores, and firemen holding their boots out, and law enforcement agencies calling on the phone trying to raise money for their charity. People give more to those charities than the church.
- Our world is consumed by people in need because men (fathers) have neglected their duties to God and their family. Let’s look at some examples…
- Children in foreign countries starving – WHY? Because their fathers have neglected God’s Law that demands men to work by the sweat of their brow. Or their fathers have died and the church has failed to step up.
- Wounded Warrior Project – Our men in government are neglecting to do their duty to support those who bravely sacrificed their life to defend this country. Why should people have to organize this group to do what the government is supposed to do? We are also fighting wars that are not our business in other countries.
- Save the poor Jewish women – I’m sorry, but this is sickening to see. Again, men have failed in the church at Jerusalem and wherever these women go (if they go to church) to support the widows that are in need.
- Save the abused dogs – Really? If owners of these dogs would keep their mutts at home in a fence they wouldn’t be wandering around impregnating every dog in the neighborhood creating more dogs that cannot fend for themselves.
- Children being overheated in cars – WHY? Because parents lack responsibility. Animals take care of their own babies better than humans. I would venture to say that these people were probably more interested in their i-pods and forgot about their responsibility to their children so God took them away from them.
- Men and father’s roles in society has changed and not for the better. Why is that? I believe that it is God’s judgment upon men who have failed to do their duty that God has given them. Not only their duty in the church, but in the home and in government.
I. The Punishment of the Fathers
- As we look at our text of Judges 6:1-5, we can see…
- The sin of Israel – Judges 6:1a… And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD: (The Israelites worshipped Baal and would not relent)
- God’s judgment for sin – “…and the LORD delivered them into the hand of Midian seven years.” Sin is always judged by God and His judgment is just and sometimes swift (fast).
- God’s children beg for mercy – Judges 6:7b…And it came to pass, when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD because of the Midianites,
- God sends a preacher – Judges 6:8a…That the LORD sent a prophet unto the children of Israel, When the children of God repent of their sin and wish for God to have mercy on them, God sends a preacher to advise them and remind them of His Laws and His grace
- The preacher delivers the message of God – 8b…which said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I brought you up from Egypt, and brought you forth out of the house of bondage; 9) And I delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of all that oppressed you, and drave them out from before you, and gave you their land; 10) And I said unto you, I am the LORD your God; fear not the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but ye have not obeyed my voice.
- 10 men volunteer to do God’s will – Judges 6:27… Then Gideon took ten men of his servants, and did as the LORD had said unto him: and so it was, because he feared his father’s household, and the men of the city, that he could not do it by day, that he did it by night. 28) And when the men of the city arose early in the morning, behold, the altar of Baal was cast down, and the grove (wooden idols) was cut down that was by it, and the second bullock was offered (God’s command to sacrifice a bullock to Him) upon the altar that was
- So far in the story we see that Gideon was sent by God to set Israel straight.
- When God’s people will not do as He has commanded, God brings judgment. But then God gives grace through a man of God who brings the message of God that wakes a sleeping people up to see the light of God’s word.
- I really don’t know if these ten men volunteered completely but I believe they were chosen by Gideon and they did not reject the call. They were available.
- There are fathers and men in the churches today that are asked but never respond to the call of God through their pastor.
II. Fathers Rejecting or answering the Call to Volunteer
- A) Remove pride first
- Some people refuse to change or repent of their sinful ways and will not listen to God or logic. They want to be left alone and don’t change a thing. They are content with things the way they are.
- Now let us look at Judges 7:1, 2, we can plainly see that every man was a volunteer. This is very uncommon today.
- Look at a very unusual event here in Judges 7:2…And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.
- Israel has never been and never will be a powerful military force that is a threat to any big nation. When God does the fighting for them, they are undefeated.
- The unusual event here is that “too many” men volunteered to to go fight the Midianites.
- Most commanders of any army or war force will never think they have enough men to fight the battle. “The more the merrier,” is what they say.
- Why does men believe that every man and their brother has to go fight? Because they are banking on the number of men that represents their strength which will allow them to win the battle. This is pride.
- God does not want His victory to be won with pride.
- Do you know what is disgusting to me about asking for volunteers? I will ask someone… Would you give me a hand right quick? They answer… “With what?” or “What are you doing?” or “How long will it take?”
- Why can’t people just come up and say…”Do you need a hand? I’d be glad to help.”
B) Remove fear and being afraid
- I believe that apparently these men had pride issues before in war with many men going to war. Look at Judges 7:3…Now therefore go to, proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, Whosoever is fearful and afraid, let him return and depart early from mount Gilead. And there returned of the people twenty and two thousand; and there remained ten thousand.
- What is the difference between “afraid” and “fear?”
- Fear – (noun, person place or thing) feel anxiety about a person, place or thing.
- Afraid – (Adjective) a feeling of fear, the dread of something to happen or be done.
- God will often not use someone who is fearful or afraid because they lack confidence or faith that His mission cannot be accomplished.
- In this account of Judges 7, it is interesting to see that there were 32,000 men who volunteered but 22,000 left because they were afraid, or fearful.
- An army filled with fear has no chance against any number of foes (enemies).
C) Separating the “men” from the “boys”
- Look now at Verse 4) And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go. 5) So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink. 6) And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water.
- Now I ask you… “What in the world does drinking water a certain way have anything to do with deciding who is a good warrior or not?
- God told Gideon to watch men drink water from the river. Note that all men went “unto the water,” meaning on the banks of the river.
- There were two kinds of men to be chosen…
- Those who kneeled down and drank the water (devouring the water rapidly).(9,700 men total)
- Those who used their tongue and lapped the water like a dog. (Satisfied with getting water a little at a time to quench their thirst.) (300 men total)
- After these men are chosen for who knows what reason other than it was God’s Divine plan, they ready themselves for a battle.
D) Preparing for battle
- When preparing for battle, a soldier will gather all that belongs to him that will help him to defend country and self for the cause.
- Look at Judges 7:8…So the people took victuals in their hand, and their trumpets: and he sent all the rest of Israel every man unto his tent, and retained those three hundred men: and the host of Midian was beneath him in the valley.
- Note the two unusual items gathered for battle by the 300 men…
- “victuals” – Meat, or provisions for food
- “ trumpets” – A noise maker or warning horn
- What are they going to do with these items? Have a feast? Throw a party?
- Look at what Gideon adds to the mix in Judges 7:16…
- “And he divided the three hundred men into three companies,” Gideon divides the 300 men into 3 groups that have 100 men in each group.
- “… and he put a trumpet in every man’s hand,”
- “… with empty pitchers,”
- “… and lamps within the pitchers.”
- These are the items that God told Gideon to use.
- When a warrior uses what his leader has commanded him to use, there are no questions asked, just do it.
- Fathers, when God asks you to do something, do not question it, just do it.
III. Following Orders
A) Every man taking his place
- God knows the outcome if his servants do what they are told and God also knows the outcome of the battle if His soldiers do not follow His orders.
- Fathers, we are in a battle today and when you volunteer in God’s army… you must follow His orders (commandments).
- Commands or orders given are expected to be obeyed so that the entire group can “become one” big force to defeat the enemy (Satan) with very few if any casualties.
- Look at Judges 7:17…And he said unto them, Look on me, and do likewise and, behold, when I come to the outside of the camp, it shall be that, as I do, so shall ye do. (watch what I am doing and I want you to do the same thing)
- Verse 18) When I blow with a trumpet, I and all that are with me, then blow ye the trumpets also on every side of all the camp, and say, The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon.
- When I blow my trumpet everybody is to blow their trumpet also.
- After you blow your trumpet, shout out loud the words “The sword of the LORD (God), and Gideon.
- Look at what happens when orders are followed in Judges 7:21 (KJV)…And they stood every man in his place round about the camp: and all the host ran, and cried, and fled.
- Gideon had asked for volunteers to defend God and His people. There were 32,000 volunteers.
- The whole purpose for God telling Gideon to take a small army of volunteers to defend Israel is because when men go in our own strength (or numbers) then they have a tenancy to give themselves the glory and not God.
- God told Gideon… “You have too many men that are “glory seekers.” Send “the willing (volunteers)” to fight for me and thee.
- Do you know how many men volunteers we have in our church? TWO! There are only 2 men that I know of at the present that I can count on to see this work at SBBC to continue on for the Lord. TWO! The other men show no signs of spiritual maturity that will lead a church and prepare them for war against Satan and Christ’s coming to take His bride (the church).
- I remember a man telling me once that he didn’t like pastors who had “Yes men.” I immediately thought to myself… Sounds to me like he didn’t like any pastors who had men that support him no matter what.
- I believe that a pastor should be above reproach and that he should lead as an example to the flock, and that the pastor should be accountable to God and the church. Saying that, I don’t believe that a pastor should have men who question his every move. Where is their faith? Where is their loyalty? Where is their trust? Where is their support?
B) Failing to take your place
- The church has been ruined by too many men who will not be as God commands us …1 Corinthians 16:13…Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. 14) Let all your things be done with charity. By the way, the word charity here does not mean “love” as most would have it to mean, but rather an action done out of love towards the brethren who believe the same as you believe (in Jesus Christ and His doctrines).
- Verse 15) I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) This is a minister. This is a pastor. This is any person who has given their all to bring the gospel of Jesus Christ to your personal doorstep.
- Verse 16) That ye submit yourselves unto such, and to every one that helpeth with us, and laboureth. There is that word “submit” that “yes men” are supposed to have that other members do not have.
- The word “submit” is a trait that all pastors should have, all wives and husbands should have, all children, all nations, and everybody.
- Nobody has that in their vocabulary or thought process anymore.
- All people think about is getting what they think is right established. This is why we have so many cults, so many different religions and so many gatherings in a home. These people cannot agree with anyone and jump from church to church accusing the men of God who are not perfect in their eyes but fail miserably to see that God is using them to lead the people that God has given to that pastor.
- I am not perfect by any means and really do not feel qualified to lead the Silent Bible Baptist Church. But God has clearly spoken to my wife and me in our calling and chosen each one of our members to be here and support us.
- For that we are grateful.
- BUT… who will step up to plate and take over the work here at SBBC when I am gone?
- God needs volunteers in His army. Submit today, be a volunteer.
- It requires work and dedication to God.
- Fathers, you have an awesome responsibility to God, Your family and your country.