“My Resolve for 2020”
Psalms 119:7, 8
- We should all have resolve for the New Year 2020.
- The word “resolve” can be defined as “coming to a determination” or “making up your mind.” Another way to say it is that “I am determined to do this.” And do it.
- If we do not aim at a target we will never hit it.
- Resolutions are the results of resolve on the part of someone.
- We can see that David in Psalms 119 had a resolve. He was determined to change and do certain things by saying “I will.” He did not say “I will try.”
- When a person says “I will try” that means their heart is not really in it.
I. I Will Rejoice
With uprightness of heart
- Psalms 119:7…Psalm 119:7…I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
- “uprightness of heart” I will maintain Godly morals.
- David is saying here that he will praise (rejoice in) God with Godly morals and attitude when I learn God’s right judgment.
- Verse 8) I will keep thy statutes;” This is a problem that we all have. We do not believe that it is possible for us to keep all the commandments of God so our resolve is to say “I will try to keep His commandments.”
- We need to say “I will!”
- Instead of griping about what you do not have, we should be rejoicing over what God has given to us. Spiritually, physically, and mentally.
- Jesus gives us gladness rather than sadness. He gives glory rather than gloom.
II. I Will Reflect
- To “meditate” means to plan something, or to consider something carefully.
- Look now at what David says “I will” to in Psalms 119:15, 48, 78…
- Psalm 119:15…I will meditate in thy precepts (A set of rules, an order), and have respect unto thy ways.
- Psalm 119:48…My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.
- Psalm 119:78…Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.
- David in these 3 verses said “I will” what? Meditate in God’s orders and laws. Meaning that David has set his resolve to do it, not just try, but do it!
- Where will you find God’s order? Where will you find God’s laws? In His Word (the Bible)
- I would dare say that 99% of us meditate more in magazines, newspapers, T.V. programs, deaf news and deaf chats than we do getting together with God and into His Word. SHAME on US.
III. I Will Remember
A) Do not forget
- Look at another one of David’s resolves in Psalms 119:16, 93…
- Psalm 119:16…I will delight myself in thy statutes (Laws, Commandments): I will not forget thy word.
- Psalm 119:93…I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me.
- David is determined in his heart to not forget what God has said in His Word.
- How many of you know by heart ten verses in the Bible? How many of you know one verse by heart?
- David reminds us in verse 93 that God’s word is what has “quickened me.” His word makes us “alive.”
- Some of you are walking around like zombies living from day to day with no hope for the future, not desire to improve, with no real meaning to your life.
- All you have to do is make a New Year resolution to “Not Forget His Word.”
IV. I Will Speak
A) About God
- Look at Psalms 119:46…I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
- “I will speak of thy testimonies.” This means that David has made up His mind to tell others the truth of God no matter their place in life.
- David wanted to testify of the character and kindness of God towards him.
- When was the last time you gave a testimony about what God has done for you? When did you tell somebody about what God is doing in your church?
- We are not afraid to speak when something in our life is threatened.
- We are not afraid to speak when our feelings are hurt.
- We are not afraid to speak when someone steps on our rights.
- Why do we not want to speak of God’s goodness to us and blessings?
V. I Will Rest
A) Hold me up
- Look at what David tells us in Psalms 119:117…Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually.
- We are human and humans become weak.
- We all have our weak moments. God knows this. The key is to lean or depend upon God for our strength in our weak moments.
- Make a resolve today that I will let God hold me up.
- If you cannot lean on God then you will never know what “rest”
VI. I Will Respect
A) God’s Laws Continually
- David said in verse 117… “I will have respect unto thy statutes (laws)”
- To “respect” someone or something is to know its value or worth.
- When we do not obey God’s word, or His commandments then we do not respect God nor His word.
- David said “I Will” …not when he feels like it, not when he is in the mood, not with the attitude of “I will try”
- David has made a resolve (determination) to respect God and His Laws by saying “I will!”.
- Do you realize how hard God has worked at trying to keep His Word (The Bible) in tact upon this earth? Many people have tried to destroy it. Many are still trying to water it down.
- Some may think I am being to bold but I have to tell you that they will ever take away my KJV of the Bible because it has stood for over 400 years as THE WORD OF GOD.
- Go ahead and use your NIV, NASB, TLB, and etc.
- I believe that God has preserved and allowed the KJV to be the best selling book of all time for one reason. Because it is the closest version of the Bible that we as English speaking people have today.
- Make your resolve today… to rejoice, reflect, not forget, to speak, to rest, and to respect God.