“ The Divine Order ”
I Timothy 2: 1, 2
- The Apostle Paul is the writer of this book.
- The “key verse” here in I Timothy is found in chapter 3 verse 15… But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
- As the churches increased in numbers it was important for the churches to have 1) Order 2) Sound faith 3) discipline.
- In chapter 1 Paul is rebuking the churches for their doctrines (what they believe).
- In Chapter 2 it is dealing with Prayer, and the “Divine order” of men and women.
I. We Are To Live A Quiet and Peaceable Life
A) Supplications (requests)
- Paul is saying here that for everyone that wants to live a quiet and peaceable life by … 1) being Godly 2) and being honest.
- As we read in verse 1... Paul says this is for “all men” (Including women) and as it says in verse 2, for Kings (or leaders, pastors, presidents, etc.).
- Paul says here that we need to be making our “requests” known unto God
- Secondly, we need to be men and women that are in prayer
- Thirdly, We need to be “intercessors.”
- The word “intercession”.. to be a “go between” in two parties that are arguing. Example: Two people are arguing in the church, you step in to help them see each other’s point of view, and try to help them solve their dis agreement. You became an intercessor.
- Not everyone is a good “intercessor.” If you are not, then be quiet!
- Satan is trying to ruin the church and he uses “intercession” to ruin it by allowing the whole church to get upset over one argument.
D) Giving thanks
- Fourthly, Paul says that we should be a thankful people.
- Thankful for everything we can be thankful for.
- Give me something you are thankful for…
II. This is Good and Acceptable to God
A) All men (and women) become saved
- Read verses 3, 4 …
- The first priority of every Christian should be to help others become saved!
- This is the “Order of God”… Seek the lost!
B) Obtain the knowledge of truth
- Paul tells us here in verse 4 that God wants all men (and women) … to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”
- How are you going to know the truth?
- Go to the Truth first by accepting Jesus as your personal Savior.
- Know the truth by reading His Word.
- Live the truth by doing as the Bible tells us.
C) What is the truth?
- Read now in verses 5-7 ..
- There is one God! Verse 5.
- One mediator (one person that helps us talk to God)
- It is our responsibility to “preach and teach the word” Verse 7.
D) What does God want us to do?
- Read now in verse 8… Here he talks about the men…
- Men everywhere are suppose to be praying. Verse 8. Lifting up Holy hands. It was a common custom, not only among the Jews, but also among the heathens, to lift up or spread out their arms and hands in prayer.
- Not being men of wrath (anger). We should be happy in the Lord!
- Not being men of doubt. Stand firm on what you believe! We as men of God do not need to let other men or women influence us by their ideas when we know the truth.
- Read verses 9-13… Now Paul is talking about the women…
- When Paul wrote “In like manner,” that means as the men have these rules…here are the rules for women.
- “…that women adorn themselves in modest apparel,” What is modest apparel” mean? It means, not boastful or showing off. So in other words this verse is telling women not to show off their bodies by the way they dress or jewelery that you put on.
- Verse 10… But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Women that dress “modestly” are Godly women.
- Women are to learn (about God and Godly things) in 1) Silence; I Corinthians 14: 34,35… 2) with all subjection; not “usurping authority” note verse 12… Being in subjection is to sit quietly while someone else is doing the teaching or preaching.
- The reason for this rule is because of… “God’s Order.” Read verses 13-15… Man was formed first, then the woman. Woman was deceived not man.
- What is the “Divine Order”
- All men (and women) are to become saved
- All men (and women) are to pray, make requests to God, be intercessors for God, and give thanks.
- All men are to be lifting up their hands in prayer, not being angry, or in doubt.
- All women are to be silent in God’s house, and to dress like a Godly women.