“ The Great Commission ”
- It was the end of the sabbath day shortly after the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Jesus met his disciples to give them the “Great Commission.”
- Christ told the disciples to meet him in Galilee.
- Note verse 16… ¶ Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee…”
- Weren’t there 12 disciples? Where and who was he?
- Verse 17… And when they saw him, they worshiped him: but some doubted.” Some doubted? John makes it clear in the book of John 20:24-29 that it was “doubting Thomas” who was not there.
- Today there are many who doubt that Jesus is God and that God even exists.
I. The Great Commission
A) All power
- Let us note verse 18…
- Jesus is speaking here and note that He said “all power is given unto me…”
- How much power is ...all power ?
- What is “great commission” ?
- It is an order/duty given by Jesus to His disciples and then His disciples gave it to the church which is now our duty.
B) The first part of the “great commission”
- Note verse 19… Go ye therefore,”
- Where are we supposed to go?
- It doesn’t matter…. JUST GO! China, Russia, across the street, etc.
- How do I get there?
- Get there anyway you can. For many it is through giving to missions in the church.
- How much do I give?
- Let God lead you to that decision.
C) The second part of the “great commission”
- Look again in verse 19… and teach all nations
- How are you going to teach those in Peru or Africa?
- Can you afford to go there every week and teach them yourself ?
- The answer is “send a missionary.”
- How are we supposed to send a missionary? Through support of the local church.
- If every one gave only a dollar a week. In our church that would be about $25.00 per week, and $100.00 a month to a missionary. How can our deaf missionaries afford to buy food, gas and pay utilities in Peru or Africa on such a piddly amount?
- God help us to give more!
- Notice what Jesus said… “teach them.” What do we teach them?
- The answer to that is found in verse 20…Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:”
D) The third part of the “great commission”
- Note again in verse 19… baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- After they receive Christ as their Savior, then we are to baptize them.
E) The promise
- And notice “the promise” of our Savior… I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.
- How much more can you ask of our Savior? WITH US ALWAYS !
- Up to the end of the world… that means after we die He is still with us!
II. The Great Commandment
A) What is a commandment?
- Matthew 22:36… Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38) This is the first and great commandment.
- A commandment is a command (direct order with authority) from God Himself.
- A commission is a duty (the way we are supposed to act or do)
B) We are supposed to “Love Him”
- So if we love Him we will do what?
- John 14:15 …¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- And what was three of the commands that he gave to his disciples?
III. When we give
A) It is not “if”, but “when” I give
- Another commandment of God is “giving”
- Giving of what?
- Tithes (10% of our income each week or month)
- Offerings (any money that you feel lead of God to give that is added to your tithe, this also includes Missions, building fund and etc.)
- 10% of everything we own belongs to God …Deuteronomy 12:6… And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
- Why do we give to the church? Malachi 3:10... Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse (the church), that there may be meat in mine house (things to help the church survive), and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
- ARE YOU A ROBBER OF GOD ?
- Malachi 3:8… Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
- What have you given this week in tithes and offering?
- What will you pledge (promise) to give to missions?