“ What does it take to be a great nation? ”
Deuteronomy 4 : 1-6
A) Listen and do God’s commands
- Moses says to the children of Israel here in verse 1… hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them,
- Just as we pastors have tried to ask Americans to do in the United States of America since our country was founded by Christopher Columbus.
- We as Americans should be listening and doing what God asks us to do. WHY? “..that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.”
- Our country will die if it continues to walk down the path that it is taking right now.
B) Don’t add to or take away from God’s Word
- Moses warns Israel as we warn people today in verse 2… Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
- Moses writes in the book of Deuteronomy the same thing that John wrote in Revelation 22.
- Now in verse 3… we see that Moses reminds the Israelites that they have already witnessed the hand of God in their lives both good and bad.
- But we too must remember what we have experienced to warn our younger generation of pending doom should we decide to chose the devil’s path.
C) A great nation is wise and understanding
- In verses 5,6 …. Moses tells the children of Israel to obey God’s Commandments and then tell the “nations” not the plural on this.
- This is talking about us, China, Japan, The Philippines, Africa, Peru, etc.
- I believe that Moses is right here by saying that a nation will be wise and have the understanding it needs to survive “IF” they hear God’s statutes (laws) and do the Commandments.
- In verse 5. “that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.”
- I believe that our country may soon be owned by another if we keep getting in debt with other nations. Why? Because America is forsaking God!
I. A Great Nation Will Have God Near It
A) When God is in all things
- Read verse 7...Note this… “For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?”
- What other nation is greater than Israel because Israel is near to God “in all things” that call on Him for help?
- Does America call on God when it is in financial difficulty?
- Does America call on God when they go to war?
- Does America call on God in it’s worship?
- Does America call on God when it teaches our children?
II. A Great Nation Will Follow The Laws Of God
A) If it’s laws come from God’s Word.
- Read verse 8…
- Is there a nation who’s laws come from the Bible that Moses laid down before Israel on that day?
- I can remember when our nation The United States of America would hang every law in the judicial system on God’s word.
- Now America is changing its laws and statutes to comply with many nations that it represents.
- Our Nation now is forsaking God and turning to Islam thanks to our President.
- We need to be praying to God every day for our Government. Because if we don’t America doesn’t stand a chance to survive.
III. Teach Our Children
A) What we know of God’s Word
- Read now in verse 9...
- Here is Moses’ proposal to the Israelites and I would suggest the same for us today…
- “Only take heed to thyself,..” Do not pay attention to what “Joe Blow” is doing” Pay attention to what you are doing.
- “.. and keep thy soul diligently,” Keep your heart focused on God working hard on the things of God. (Witnessing, supporting your church, etc.)
- “.. lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen,…” Don’t forget your experiences both good and bad so that others can learn and grow from your experience that you have had.
- “..and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life:” Do not let God’s ways depart from your heart, every thought, every motive, every action.
- “..but teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons;” Every generation needs to make sure that God is in the center of every son’s and daughter’s homes and lives. These laws (God’s Laws) need to be put on the courthouse lawns, the schoolhouse auditoriums, the grave yard gates, the work places bulletin boards, the living rooms of every home in America.
“We’ve Got to get America back to God”
Preached at the Silent Bible Baptist Church on July 5th, 2009