“Who to invite for Thanksgiving Dinner ”
- Pharisee – One of three religious sects of Jewish leaders. (The other two being Sadducees and the Essenes)They strictly enforced the Mosaic Law (the Law of Moses) while they themselves did not practice what they preached. Hypocrites.
- Jesus was at a chief Pharisee’s house explaining their mistakes .
- Read verses 1-6… He was healing on the sabbath
- When we invite some one over for dinner (not just at Thanksgiving)ask yourself…who do you invite?
I. A Guest, Picking Their Room(or place)
A) Those bidden
- Read verse 7…
- Note the word “bidden” it means offered, or presented,or invited.
- Also notice in verse 7 that Jesus “ marked (noticed) how they chose out the chief rooms”
- God looks at the heart,and so did Jesus here..God looks at why or how we do things.
B) Choosing a room
- Read verses 8-11…
- Paraphrasing verse 8 says, “when you are invited to a wedding, don’t choose the best seat or room in the house or building, save it for someone more honorable than you.”
- The highest room. The seat at the table nearest the head.
- A more honorable man. A more aged man, or a man of higher rank.
C) Don’t Embarrass yourself
- Read verse 9… (Paraphrased)…And when the person that invited you comes up to you sitting near the head of the table and asks you to move and give this man that is more honorable a chair, you will be embarrassed to get up and move to a lower spot.
D) The humble will be lifted up
- Read verses 10,11…
- Now paraphrasing verse 10… (But) it would be better that when you are invited to go ahead and choose a lower chair or room(humble place), and then when the man who invited you comes up to you he maybe will ask you to take a better seat after seeing your humble attitude. Then you can be respected by those in the high places.
- Verse 11..For whosoever exalteth(to make high,proud) himself shall be abased (made low,not proud); and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted(made High).
II. Jesus Explains The Supper
A) A list of “Who not to invite”
- Read verse 12… Let us observe the list of who not to invite…
- Your friends
- Your brethren (Spiritual kinfolk)
- Your kinsmen (relatives)
- Your rich neighbors (Those that you like the most)
- Why? “ lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.” Because then they will feel that they need to invite you to their party also.
B) A list of Who you should invite
- Read verses 13,14… Lets look at this list….
- The poor
- The maimed
- The lame
- The blind
- And you will be blessed. “ for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.”
- They cannot recompense thee. They cannot invite you again, and thus pay you; and by inviting them you show that you have a disposition to do good.
- The resurrection of the just. When the just or holy shall be raised from the dead. Then God shall reward those who have done good to the poor and needy from love to the Lord Jesus Christ, (Matthew 10:42; and Matthew 25:34-36.)
C) The two points Jesus was trying to make…
- When you are invited do not sit where you think you should sit.
- When you invite someone to dinner, invite someone who needs it.
- When you invite someone to dinner, do not invite someone who has already eaten.
- You invite someone who is starving!
III. Jesus also was referring to “The Supper”
A) Of the Lamb
- Look now into Revelation 19: 7) Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come,(The marriage of Jesus) and his wife (The Church)hath made herself ready. 8) And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 9) And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb.(Blessed are those that are saved…Amen) And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
- Let us be glad and rejoice Why? Because we are invited guests!
- Give honor to Jesus because His time will come..
- The Bride (church) is getting ready
- The Bride (church) has cleaned each member
- Blessed are they which are invited.
- We are supposed to invite people to church, that are lost (hungry)not those that are saved (Already full).
PRAISE GOD IF YOU ARE INVITED(Saved)!