“Honor the Office”
I Samuel 9:27 ; 10 : 1
A) an anointed (God chosen) office
- 9:27) And as they were going down to the end of the city, Samuel said to Saul, Bid the servant pass on before us, (and he passed on,) but stand thou still a while, that I may shew thee the word of God.
- 10:1… ¶ Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it upon his head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not because the LORD hath anointed thee to be captain over his inheritance?
B) The office is a little bit upset
- Saul is now in the office of leader, and king. He is having a little bit of a bad time right now so he is asking if anyone out there that can play good music that will smooth out his bad spirit.
- They bring to him Davis the son of Jesse…
- I Samuel 16:21…And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he loved him greatly; and he became his armourbearer(protector of the office, protector of the king, even a shield to the office, defender of the office, paying honor to the office).”
C) Bring shame to the office
- I Samuel 24:3…And he came to the sheepcotes by the way, where was a cave; and Saul went in to cover his feet: and David and his men remained in the sides of the cave. 4) And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul’s robe privily. 5) And it came to pass afterward, that David’s heart smote him, WHY? because he had cut off Saul’s skirt.(David had brought shame to the office)
- David was “armourbearer” … He was supposed to protect the office, bring honor to the office, shield the office,defend the office.
- Saul had done David wrong before and still even after that ..David’s heart smote him”
- Now look at verse 6… And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD’S anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD.
- You see God appointed Saul to that office, he anointed him to be king.
- God has anointed preachers everywhere to the office of Pastor.
- God anoints them.
D) The Lord is in control of the office
- I Samuel 26:8…Then said Abishai to David, God hath delivered thine enemy into thine hand this day: now therefore let me smite him, I pray thee, with the spear even to the earth at once, and I will not smite him the second time. 9) And David said to Abishai, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the LORD’S anointed, and be guiltless? 10) David said furthermore, As the LORD liveth, the LORD shall smite him; or his day shall come to die; or he shall descend into battle, and perish.
- Do you know what David said here in these verses…the Lord put Saul into office, let the Lord take care of him or punish him.
- Verse 11… The LORD forbid that I should stretch forth mine hand against the LORD’S anointed:
E) Done wrong by the king, or pastor
- Saul is now dead, But David is still going to be an armourbearer to the office…
- David has not yet been crowned as king, or head of the office…
- II Samuel 1:10… So I stood upon him, and slew him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he was fallen:
- Verse 14… And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD’S anointed? 15) And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died. 16) And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the LORD’S anointed.
- Every one of you here at one time has been done wrong by a pastor…
- Some pastors may judge your situation wrong…
- Some pastor may have not told you the exact truth…
- Some pastor has done your family wrong…
- Some pastors have made judgments that you did not agree with…
- BUT, WE WILL GIVE AN ACCOUNT TO GOD as to how we treat that office.
- WE will give an account because we did not establish that office… God did!
- There are pastors all over this world that have… molested children, stolen money from the church, become homosexuals, cheated on their wives…
- But we are still supposed to “Honor the office”
F) The office
- .. we owe the office. (our time, our love our commitment, our fear of God)
- ..be an armourbearer, protector , shield, and honor the office!
- If you disagree with the man in the office… go to him privately, talk to him like a man…
- David was done wrong to by Saul (the king) but he “honored the office”
- God likes us to “honor the office”
- We are teaching our children something, our wives something..
- When we drive away from church on Sunday and we talk negative about the sermon or pastor himself…we are teaching our children something.
- When they see us signing to someone else talking bad about the pastor, his wife, or children…we are teaching the children something.
- Do you wonder why the churches in America today have got weaker and weaker…because the men have not “honored the office”
- Some men will say… It’s my wife that spreads the gossip or bad news to all the people..”
- THE MAN IS TO BE HEAD OF THE WIFE…If you need to, tell her that we are not going to talk about the office that way…
- Here is the situation…David is walking up the hill weeping and barefooted…weeping and barefooted…WHY? Because someone was not honoring the office.
- Absalom steeling the hearts of the men
- Ahithophel telling him what to do.
- Ziba was telling lies about Mephibosheth
- Shimei come out and made false statements against the office
- ALL These men…NOT “ honoring the office”
- But there was a few that “honored the office”.
- II Samuel 17:27…27 And it came to pass, when David was come to Mahanaim, that Shobi the son of Nahash of Rabbah of the children of Ammon, and Machir the son of Ammiel of Lodebar, and Barzillai the Gileadite of Rogelim, 28) Brought beds, and basons, and earthen vessels, and wheat, and barley, and flour, and parched corn, and beans, and lentiles, and parched pulse, 29) And honey, and butter, and sheep, and cheese of kine, for David,
- They were bringing all these things to David…Why? They were “honoring the office”