- When you look at the apostle Saul of Tarsus whose name was changed to Paul, we see many reasons for him not to be thankful… He was hated by the Jews for leading many to their death if they followed Jesus, He was blinded by Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus for 3 days, He was not liked by many of the apostles, he was in jail many times, he was shipwrecked, stoned and beaten, left for dead, and finally beheaded like the other apostles of Jesus Christ.
- How dare we as the New Testament Christians complain about our miserable lives.
- Many times our lives are miserable because we make them miserable. It is our own doing or undoing.
- In all the turmoil of life today with many uncertainties, governing bodies who lack leadership, churches falling apart, Christians be ridiculed and taunted, people in general worried about COVID-19, the changing in weather patterns earthquakes, hurricanes and fires increasing in numbers…it’s no wonder people are upset! It’s no wonder that people have become unthankful.
- Are we worse off than Paul was in his letter to Colosse? I don’t thinks so.
- But Paul found a way to give thanks, and be thankful and teaches that to the church and this morning I believe that we too should be thankful.
I. Being Thankful for the Church
A) The church of Jesus Christ
- Listen to the thankfulness of Paul for the “faithful” members of the church at Colosse…
- Verse 3…We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
Paul and Timothy are thankful for the church’s reputation and evidence of their love for God shown to the world
- Verse 4a…Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus,
Their saving faith in Christ Jesus.
- Verse 4b… and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
Their love for all the followers of Jesus Christ, not just their own church, but the Corinthian church, the church at Thessalonica, and etc.
- Verse 5…For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
Strong faith in “knowing” that you will follow Christ in the resurrection of our own bodies into the glories of heaven.
- Verse 6…Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:
The “fruit” here is the saving gospel of Jesus Christ through the preaching and the growth of the church.
- Verse 8…Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.
Their love in the Holy Spirit of God is proven by the core of the church at Colosse was following their convictions of the Holy Spirit and had the Spirit of God in all they did.
- What a testimony for the church!
- Do you know what cracks me up? People who do ot appreciate the church.
- What I mean by that is “the church” is the people, the members who believe in Jesus Christ. This is not just SBBC! The church is Potter’s Hands Baptist Deaf Church in Colorado, Friendly Baptist Deaf Church in Hutchinson, Harvest Baptist Deaf church in Ringgold, Georgia, Deaf Liberty Baptist in Overland Park, Ks. THIS IS THE CHURCH.
- Paul was thankful that these people loved “The Church!” All followers of Jesus Christ.
- There are so many churches in America today and all over the world for that matter, that we should be thankful for, and especially for SBBC!
II. Thankful for being in the Light
A) Made us meet
- Colossians 1:12…Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
- “…made us meet” What does that mean? It means that God has “qualified us” or made us “sufficient enough” to inherit the kingdom of God.
- It is Jesus Christ who made us perfect enough to even have a conversation with God. We of our own self cannot meet with God. We are unholy without the shed blood of Jesus Christ which redeemed our wretched souls.
B) Saints in the light
- I want us to particularly note the last three words “…saints in light.”
- These are saints (saved people, believers in Jesus Christ) who have the understanding and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ in all matters.
- These are members of the church who have been faithful to Christ.
- These are those who wish to gain more wisdom and growth in the Lord together as they come to study God’s word and be convicted by God’s word and worship Him in truth.
III. Delivered From Darkness
A) Meaning of Darkness
- Colossians 1:13…Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
- To be “delivered” means to be “separated from,” to be “brought out of.”
- Without Christ we are lost in our sins, we are unable to turn loose/hooked on sin, blinded by God’s truths, doomed to an eternal hell.
- To be “delivered it to be able to control the sin in your life by saying “NO” to sin or its temptations and addictions.
- Paul is telling the church at Colosse to be thankful for their deliverance from the bondage (control) of sin in their life.
- Darkness (sin) separates us from God (the light/knowledge of God).
- You cannot see God’s blessings in your life until you “know (have an intimate relationship with) His So Jesus Christ.
B) Are you delivered?
- Can you say “NO” to sin?
- Can you say “NO” to addiction?
- Can you say “NO” to temptation?
- If you cannot say “NO” then you are not delivered. You are still in bondage.
- Come to an old fashioned altar and ask the Lord Jesus Christ to be “LORD” of your life and help you with your inability to say “NO.”
IV. Be Thankful for Jesus Christ our Lord
A) Forgiveness of sins
- Colossians 1:14…In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
- Note that the only way of redemption is what? “…through his blood.”
- You cannot save yourself, Nobody else can save you except Jesus Christ who has already done the work of redemption by dying on the cross and shedding His blood for our sins.
- From the beginning of mans sin in Genesis, God has required a “blood sacrifice” for sins. This is the only way to escape hell.
- In the Old Testament, it was the blood of a pure lamb.
- In the New Testament, it is the blood of the Pure Lamb of God Jesus Christ.
- Are you thankful for His Blood, His sacrifice, His forgiveness, His cure for blindness and His removal of the darkness within us? COME TO JESUS!