“It Is No Secret”
II Kings 17:9
- II Kings 17:9…And the children of Israel did secretly those things that were not right against the LORD their God, and they built them high places in all their cities, from the tower of the watchmen to the fenced city.
- You and I both know that you cannot hide your sins from God.
- Why do people think that their sin is hidden from God? Because they have not been punished yet.
- God is gracious in allowing his children a little leeway in sin.
- In fact, God overlooks sin at times considering the reason for it.
- When God “overlooks” a sin it is called “winked at” in the KJV. (Acts 17:30…And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent:)
- In our text, God’s children (Israel) were …
- Verse 8…walked in the statutes (Laws) of the heathen (idol worshippers)
- Verse 9…built them (the idols) high places in all the city (meaning that every sin that God hated was taken lightly to where it was popularized by those who ruled the country…much like America today in that they have popularized sex, adultery, homosexuality, theft, alcohol and etc.)
- Verse 11……wrought wicked things to provoke the LORD.(The word “wrought” means to beat out or shape by hammering. In this case it means that they worked hard at getting everyone on board with the acceptance of their sins.)
- Verse 12… whereof the LORD had said unto them, Ye shall not do this thing. This is a warning for Israel to STOP.
- The Bible is full of “things” we shouldn’t do.
- Not because God is a dictator, but because God loves us and doesn’t want to see us get hurt.
- God knows the result of our sin, and the pain it brings to us
I. God is Sees all “Things”
A) Things not a secret
- ADAM AND EVE – Genesis 3:6-13… He saw the eating of the forbidden fruit.
- It was not forbidden to eat all fruits from trees. Just the one.
B) Things we think are secret
- CAIN AND ABEL– In Genesis 4:8-10… God saw the killing of Abel by his brother Cain.
- Cain buried Abel to hide his sin. God indwells in us at the time of birth the knowledge of good and evil.
- DAVID – In II Samuel 12:1-7… God saw David’s secret.
- David tried to hide it. Tried by committing murder.
- THE ABOMINATIONS IN THE TEMPLE – In Ezekiel 8:1-2…God saw the children of Israel’s sin in the House of God where they met for worship. What were their sins? Bringing animals into the House of God, Idols in God’s house, women crying worshiping Tammuz (god of vegetation), worshipping the sun (as the Indians of America did), they had filled their hearts with violence.
C) GOD SEES ALL BAD THINGS–
- Deuteronomy 29:29… The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.
- The things that God keeps in secret are His Divine will and plans for the future.
- The things which are not a secret, God reveals to us which is His Laws.
- Psalm 90:8 …Thou hast set our iniquities before thee, our secret sins in the light of thy countenance.
- All sins are done in the face of God (the light of thy countenance).
- There is no escaping God’s knowledge of our sin.
D) The judgment for Secret Things
- Ecclesiastes 12:13… Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14) For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
- Our judgment is here on earth. God will judge us, not man.
II. The Good Things Done In Secret
A) God rewards openly
- Jesus said inMatthew 6:3…But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4) That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
- What does it mean that God will reward us “openly?” It simply means that God will see that people will take notice of what you have done.
- Jesus further said in Luke 8:16…No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light. 17) For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.
- Do you understand what verse 17 is saying?
- NOTHING IS SECRET!
- You think you have a secret? Think again!